Leaf & Yard Waste
Rules for Yard Waste
Place your yard waste at the curb during compost week.
- Place leaves and small twigs in your compost cart
- The lid must be closed
- No items can stick out of your cart
- Maximum weight of cart: 50 kg or 100 lbs
- Additional leaves can be placed in brown paper bags, compostable or clear plastic bags and placed beside your compost cart.
Branches or twigs
- Maximum diameter 2” (5 cm)
- Cut into 4’ (1.2 m) lengths and place in cart or
- Tie with string and set beside the cart
- Cart plus 2 additional items are acceptable in most communities – check with your waste hauler.
Materials NOT accepted:
- No rocks, bricks, tree stumps, painted or treated wood.
Yard Waste Policy
Fundy Region Solid Waste has implemented new fees for garbage that contains yard waste. This policy has been implemented to ensure Yard Waste does not enter the landfill. Yard Waste should either be handled on private property or through a compost program with your hauler. This policy applies to all waste entering Crane Mountain Landfill.
Fees at the Landfill
Unsorted Waste*: ‘double landfill fee’ - $216/tonne
*New fee as of January 2012
Yard Waste includes: Leaves, grass, weeds & twigs/brush
Unsorted Waste is defined as solid waste that includes yard waste.
Acceptable packaging for yard waste in compost
• program compost cart
• brown paper bags
• compostable bags
• clear plastic bags
Black or coloured plastic bags will not be accepted in the compost.
Yard waste in the garbage can contaminate an entire load of garbage and may result in an additional charge in the range of $700 to $800.
The Unsorted Waste Fee instituted as of January 2012.