Building Services

Building Permits are required throughout the Province for the construction of new buildings or structures as well as the demolition, relocation, alteration or replacement of an existing building or structure.

As the homeowner, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary permit(s). If you choose to have your contractor take out the permit on your behalf, make sure that it’s done before the project gets started.

The primary role of the Development Permit / Building Permit is to protect the property owner and the community by assuring that the proposed development is in conformity with the objectives set out in the provincially adopted version of the 2015 National Building Code of Canada. (NOTE: grace period for projects under the 2010 National Building Code of Canada ends on January 1st 2022)

Provincial Regulation 84-187, Sec 13 (5) & (6) requires that a building permit be acquired before an electrical contractor can obtain their electrical wiring permit. To allow for ‘electrical work only’ a ‘building permit waiver’ is issued when a home owner is doing electrical work only on an existing building. If you are making alterations, relocating or demolishing a structure, you require a full Building Permit Application.

Submitting an Application for a Building / Development Permit

To submit an Application for a Building / Development Permit you will need:

  • a set-back/access permit from the Department of Transportation & Infrastructure or municipal Public Works Department;
  • an approval from the Department of Health or respective municipality for any on-site sewer system;
  • a civic number or confirmation of application for a civic number from New Brunswick 911 Bureau.
  • building location site plan;
  • building plans;
  • a completed building permit application form;
  • the Property Identification Number (PID), available from the local registry office (or on your property tax bill);
  • approvals from other government agencies, if required;
  • any other requirements to certify conformity; and
  • applicable fees.

Application for Building & Development Permit | Or fill out the form online

Electrical Waiver Permit Application | Or fill out the form online

Service Area